The following chapter is a sum of information, mostly known, but mentioned in different literature under numerous topics. Put together in one chapter, they show details of historical and urban forming of settlement Krakovo in one place and as a whole, from times BC. to recent years.
From Neolithic to Steel age
The river Ljubljanica, along which the first people found their habitation, represented an important traffic way in Neolith. Some remains like tools and weapons were found near Krakovo; however, no signs of habitation were found in this area at that time.
There were some findings in the river near Krakovo, dated to the 7th century AC. - the end of bronze age or beginning of steel age, which confirm location of port of Illyrians. The location was probably on the site of Krakovo or in the area close to it.
The first colony near this area was the Roman Emona, which was a military town. Outside the town-wall fishermen. Krakovo's first inhabitants - settled since the nearby river was rich with fish. Unfortunately no documentation exists regarding the area or its inhabitants during the next centuries. Some documents mention the town-wall around the city in the middle ages; however, nothing is mentioned about Krakovo. In that time, the area was not part of the city; on the contrary, it was placed outside the wall as one of many suburb settlements.
From Medieval times to 1849
In the 13th century, when the city wall was mentioned first, there were only grass fields and swamps outside the wall, with the exception of Krakovo. Arguably it is presenting the oldest suburbia plan that remained in its primary medieval form. The first mention of Krakovo itself was in the year 1450 (in de Krakaw) , although its plan is older. I. Vrhovnik is mentioning, that the oldest preserved document about Krakovo properties dates back to 1271, 1277 in 1280, when a few Teutonic knights supposed to buy 6 farms next to the river. Back then the inhabitants of Krakovo were fishermen, who were supplying fresh fish to Ljubljana. Only they had the right to catch fish in Ljubljanica and to supply them to celebrities. In 1490 clerk divided Krakovo on upper and lower part (today.s Kladezna Street). Today lower part still presents its original disposition and character of buildings. First documents mentioning number of houses and inhabitants in Krakow date in 1788: there were 81 buildings and 617 inhabitants (the whole city Ljubljana had 938 buildings and 10047 inhabitants. During Turkish besiege in 1472 citizens demolished most of the houses outside city walls, including Krakov area, so that the Turks would not use them. Historical archive in Ljubljana keeps a document from 1471 in which Cesar Friderik III. Orders demolishing the houses:
"Cesar Friderik III. commands the judge and council in Ljubljana to order citizens, that have houses in suburbs and did not burn down yet, to demolish them. From this moment, nobody is allowed to build in suburb, to avoid extra harm to city (1471, July 5th, Regensburg)."
From 1849 till today
In the end of the 18th century the town-wall was destroyed and the city was free to connect to the suburbs, but Krakovo did not change despite taking over city rights. Even the earthquake in 1895 did not alter the image of the area. Fishing and trading on the river died after 1849 when Vienna railway was built and since the river was not longer important way of transport people in Krakovo started to grow vegetables and soon they were supplying the salad for the whole Ljubljana. Even today some of the women living in Krakovo are called ''Krakovo salad-women''. They still transport vegetables with special carriages called "ciza".